Please read this important message regarding Medicare Fraud:
Recently, there have been reports of a Medicare telemarketing scam in the New England region. A caller claiming to be from SSA tried to get the beneficiary to give out her husband’s SS number or his social security benefits would stop. The ploy used was that SSA computers were damaged in the hurricane. Thankfully the beneficiary hung up without giving out any information.
• Beware of Medicare telemarketing scams and protect yourself from Medicare fraud.
• Social Security & Medicare employees will never make unsolicited calls or request from a beneficiary their banking or credit card information. Social Security & Medicare employees will never make unsolicited calls or request from a beneficiary a Social Security number. This is not the way they normally obtain their information information.
• There is no cost for Medicare Cards…they do not cost anything.
• If you receive one of these calls please hang up, do not give them your personal information for any reason.
• For more information on how to identify and avoid Medicare fraud, please visit www.StopMedicareFraud.gov. If you suspect Medicare fraud, please call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) or 311 and ask for HIICAP.